iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IPTC from Canon

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karen B

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: IPTC from Canon Reply with quote

I have both a Canon 1D and 1Ds camera. I shoot both raw (Canon TIF) and JPG at the same time. iView Pro does not read the EXIF data the same in the TIF and JPG files. Also the IPTC data does not show up in the TIF files, but it does in the JPG files. The data is there in Adobe Photoshop CS File Browser. This is a major flaw in preventing me from purchasing the program. Is this being worked on. Is there some setting I should be using. Please advise
Peter_A

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this also but have heard nothing yet. it worked in the previous version and now nothing.
keswicklimey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Me too Reply with quote

I have noticed this problem, so add files to catalog in old version, and then go into new version to work on the catalog.

This is a pain, when it seemed to work so well.

It all seemed to fall down when we got the full use of the RAW picture.

Yes it is nice to be able to see the full picture, but at a loss of some of the EXIF if, I am not sure the change was worth it????

12" PowerBook G4, Mac OS 10.4.7, iView MediaPro 3.1.1 (4282), Canon 350D.
sparker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a direct quote from iView about the "loss of EXIF" data with Photoshop CS (that they do not plan on supporting this). Please let them know how you feel about this. Don't start a flame war, let them know how you honestly feel.... I have.

Steve

----- Begin included message -----
On Apr 27, 2004, at 4:25 AM, Yannis Calotychos wrote:

Hi Steve,

Let me clarify one thing:

Adobe persuaded us to endorse their XMP annotation standard, which now works alongside the traditional IPTC standard. Our endorsement of XMP is currently limited to IPTC related fields ONLY.

Photoshop v7 used to maintain the EXIF block in tact (in PSD files). With CS, Adobe is decoding the BLOCK into XMP. Our opinion is that this is a risky way to go about saving EXIF data as, the EXIF standard is live and evolving (as we speak). In contrast the IPTC standard has been stable for several years now.

We have NO plans to endorse repackaging of EXIF information into XMP.

Yan.
----- End included message -----

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photoshop has nothing to do with this problem. The problem is that if you use another way besides iView media pro to download the canon raw files including the .thm files with them to a folder and then import them into a iView catalog it does not import any data at all except the file format info.
Now if you let iView download the files from the Canon camera directly all the data will import to your catalog.
I don't use iView to download my files. I have a applescript set up to automatically launch when my card is inserted. Then it creates a new folder with a date name, copies the files from my card, and then imports them into my catalog. This way all I have to do is plug in my flash card and keep on shooting with another. Having to download with iView would be a major slow down in the workflow. So since the latest release of 2.0.3 my catalogs have no camera data, exif or otherwise.
Guest Joachim Pfaff

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: IPTC from Canon, Exif Canon Reply with quote

I have the same problem with EXIF data. Apple iBook, Mac OS 10.2.8. Use to import files from my Canon digital rebel by Card reader. JPEG data are treated well, not RAW files.
There is a very strange behaviour of iView Media Pro 2.0.3, the same with the new beta release: I downloaded the program as compressed image file, mounted the image on desktop and put the file into my applications folder. After starting the program the problem happened as described by many users. When I launch the program directly from the image on desktop it does well, complete EXIF data are shown! When I save a catalog in this way, all data in it are correctly shown also when the program later is launched from applications folder.
This behaviour can be reproduced on my iMac too.
I did a complete new “clean installation” of my system, without change.
Did anyone else see the same?
Another issue: I can’t remove single items from a catalog set, when program is startet from applications folder, but without problem with program startet from disk image on desktop. This problem seems to be fixed with the new beta release.
Under OS 9.1 everything goes well.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: