iView home page
iView Multimedia Forum Index

FAQ FAQ     SearchSearch     MemberlistMemberlist     UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work Flow

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobody

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Work Flow Reply with quote

One of the challenges these days is wading through all the RAW data my Canon 10D generates and iView is saving me a lot of time.

Before iView, my work flow went something like this:
- Drag images in from the CF Card to my yyyy-mm-dd directory structure
- Bring up Canon File Viewer Utility, select all, Convert to TIF and come back in a half hour or so.
- Bring up Photoshop and use File Automation Web Photo Gallery and wait 5 or 10 minutes.
Then, nearly an hour and a half later, I would finally get to see my images in enough detail to evaluate which ones were keepers. I could keep my notes in a spread sheet which didn't have thumbnail views, but it just wasn't working very well.

Other RAW file aware applications seem to focus on the time consuming processing of RAW files rather than the quick review and management of them.

Then I found iView and my work flow goes something like this:
- Drag images in from the CF Card to my yyyy-mm-dd directory structure
- Bring up iView and import the directory
- Find Show Last Import or you can use the Organize Date Finder
- Select all and enter Event and Location annotations etc., deselect and apply to all
- Select groups of images and enter people, keywords, etc. as desired.
- Then I quickly arrow through my thumbs making sure that all my commonly used annotation fields are filled in for this group. This whole process goes very quickly due to the batch annotation capability and is the best time to apply at least some broad brush annotations you can use to filter and find these files in the future.
- Next I use media view or slide view to evaluate which photos to spend more time with.

For those of you who like to keep everything in case you might use it one day, this seems to work very well.

The one wrinkle is that iView thumbs and previews of CRW files are not displayed with a color profile. I shoot exclusively in RAW Adobe RGB and am eager to see them add this feature to the product as it will help in the proofing and evaluating phase tremendously.

I haven't got the backup procedure all worked out yet. One thought was to create sets of 100 images, since that seems to be about what will fit on one CD and is easy enough to track, then I can easily backup a set at a time.

Would like to hear what others have found effective.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iView Multimedia Forum Index -> iView MediaPro All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: